UPDATE: Governor Haslam announced on May 21st that he will not veto the bill and will let it become law without his signature. Read TIRRC's full statement on the governor's decision here.
In the wake of a massive ICE raid in East Tennessee, the Tennessee legislature just moved to make mass deportation the official policy of the state. Join us in asking Governor Bill Haslam to veto HB2315! For final copy of HB2315, see here.
On April 25th, the Tennessee General Assembly passed HB2315, one of the country's most extreme, anti-immigrant bills, banning so-called "sanctuary cities." HB2315 would require police to inquire about immigration and citizenship status, prohibit common-sense local policies that promote community trust and public safety, and take away discretion from local law enforcement, turning requests from ICE into unconditional directives.
We are urging Governor Haslam to veto the Mass Deportation bill that would make Tennessee a dangerous place for immigrant families and cement our state's reputation as hostile and unwelcoming.
On Thursday, May 10th, the state legislature sent HB2315, the mass deportation bill, to Governor Haslam. He now has until May 22nd to veto the bill or let it become law.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- Send an Email: Click here to send an email message to Governor Haslam urging him to veto HB 2315. Share this link with your friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues.
- Make a Call: Call the governor's office, 615.741.2001, and tell them to veto HB2315 today. Share the graphic below on social media to encourage your networks to do the same.
- Do you represent an organization or institution? Please consider sending a formal veto request letter to the Governor on behalf of your organization. Email Emily@tnimmigrant.org for a sample letter and instructions on how to submit your letter.
TIRRC is engaged in campaign to stop this bill from becoming law. We’re working with our partners to circulate sign-on letters from many different groups and sectors who can outline for the Governor in detail the many major issues with the legislation. Please see below a growing list of organizations and individuals calling on Governor Haslam to veto #HB2315.
LOCAL GOVERNMENTS & INSTITUTIONS
- Shelby County Commission Resolution
- Metropolitan Nashville Board of Public Education
- Metropolitan Nashville Police Department
- Nashville City Council Resolution
- Metropolitan Nashville Education Association
- TIRRC Veto Letter
- Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) Veto Letter
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - Tennessee Veto Letter
- National Civil Rights Organizations Veto Letter
- International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District 91: Spanish and English
- The International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) Local 737
- Stand Up Nashville
- Central Labor Council
- Iron Workers Local 846
- Letter from Tennessee Legal Scholars on Constitutionality of HB2315
- Faith Leader Veto Letter
- Educator Veto Letter
- Domestic and Sexual Violence Advocates
- Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Tennessee Organizations
ACTIONS & MOBILIZATIONS
- 1,000+ Immigrants Rally Against Mass Deportation Bill
- Families Impacted by East TN Raid Greet Governor Haslam, Call for Veto
OPINIONS & EDITORIALS
- Tennessean | Gov. Bill Haslam has good reasons to veto sanctuary city bill: Opinion from David Plazas
- Commercial Appeal | Anti-sanctuary bill another anti-city bill: The Commercial Appeal Editorial Board
- Knox News | Gov. Haslam, please don't sign immigration-enforcement bill: Opinion from the Bishop of the Diocese of Knoxville
- Times Free Press | Sanctuary cities ban is fear-mongering: Opinion from Pam Sohn
- Tennessean | Haslam Should Veto Mass Deportation Bill: Opinion from Stephanie Teatro, TIRRC Co-Executive Director